From a new front-end design and updated interior trim, to the generous list of standard features, to Toyota's unsurpassed fit and finish, the 2008 Avalon sets a new benchmark in the premium full-size sedan market, said Tony Wearing, Managing Director of Toyota Canada Inc. The most exciting new addition for this year's model is our six-speed automatic transmission, which complements a powerful 3.5 Litre V6 engine.
Enhanced for 2008, the Avalon features all new front bumper, front chrome grille, headlamp designs and chrome exterior door handles. In addition, Canadians will see new touches inside the vehicle including MP3 audio capability, audio auxiliary input jack, a wood and leather wrapped steering wheel and optional Bluetooth capability.
For 2008, the Avalon is available in one fully-equipped trim level, the Avalon XLS. Along with the new additions to the 2008 model, the Avalon XLS boasts many standard convenience, comfort and safety features. These include:
- Optitron electronic gauges including tachometer, water temperature gauge, outside temperature gauge and dual trip odometer plus a multi-information display;
- AM/FM Stereo, in-dash 6-disc CD changer with MP3 audio capability, audio auxiliary input jack, shock proof CD memory function and nine speakers;
- A four-spoke steering wheel with tilt and telescoping column and wheel-mounted controls for audio and climate control;
- Wood and leather trimmed shift knob;
- A climate control system featuring automatic air conditioning with dual zone control, soft-touch heater controls, deodorizing air filter for dust and pollen, and rear seat heater ducts;
- Premium leather seat surfaces throughout, with heated front seats;
- Eight-way power adjustable driver's seat and four-way power adjustable front passenger's seat;
- Power door locks with keyless entry and rear door child lock protection;
- Power windows with driver and front passenger auto up/down and window jam protection;
- Cruise control;
- Well-appointed interior including chrome interior door handles, simulated leather door trim, stainless steel scuff plates and a new wood grain interior trim;
- Integrated garage door opener and accessory power outlets;
- Anti-theft system and engine immobilizer;
- Tire pressure monitoring system;
- Dual power remote heated exterior mirrors, including driver's side electrochromic mirror;
- Power moonroof with sunshade;
- Fog lamps plus halogen headlamps.
The Avalon XLS with Premium Package adds a number of comfort and convenience features, including:
- Premium JBL Synthesis audio system with Bluetooth capability, digital signal processor, the radio data system, an eight-channel amplifier, 12 speakers plus a rear subwoofer;
- Coloured rear spoiler;
- Rain-sensing wipers;
- Eight-way power adjustable passenger seat.
For the ultimate in comfort and convenience, the Premium Package with Navigation adds a DVD-based navigation system accessed through a 6.5? Liquid Crystal Display.
The 2008 Toyota Avalon is on sale in Canada now. The Avalon XLS carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price starting at $41,840.
# # #
2008 TOYOTA AVALON PRODUCT DETAIL
The 2008 Avalon is powered by Toyota's proven 3.5-litre six-cylinder engine featuring an aluminium alloy block, dual overhead cams, 24 valves, and dual variable valve timing with intelligence on both the intake and exhaust cams and an electronic throttle control system with intelligence. This configuration delivers up to 268 HP @ 6,200 rpm and up to 248 lb-ft of torque @ 4,700 rpm, while qualifying the Avalon as an emissions-friendly Tier 2 Bin 5 vehicle.
Coupled to this is a six-speed automatic super electronically controlled transmission with sequential multi-mode shifter. The transmission is equipped with a lock up torque converter, while Toyota's Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control systems deliver driving confidence. Even as a full-size premium sedan, Avalon enjoys a fuel efficiency rating of just 10.7L/100km city and 7.0L/100km highway.
All 2008 Avalon models are fitted with front ventilated discs and rear disc brakes, enhanced with a suite of braking technologies including Toyota's antilock braking system, electronic brake force distribution and brake assist. The 2008 Avalon rides on P215/55R17 tires mounted on 17? aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks and includes a full-size spare tire with alloy wheel.
Comfort and safety
Inside, the 2008 Avalon seats up to five adults in comfort and style. Standard safety systems include dual stage driver and front passenger airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, a driver's knee airbag, and front and rear head/side curtain airbags. Three-point lap and shoulder seatbelts are fitted in all five passenger positions, and include adjustable B and C pillar shoulder belt anchors as well as pre-tensioners and force limiters for the front seating positions, and rear seatbelt comfort fitting devices. Younger occupants are protected with anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks.
Optional customization packages allow Canadian drivers to tailor their 2008 Avalon to suit their lifestyle. Buyers may customize their Avalon using the Vehicle Configurator on Toyota Canada's web site (www.toyota.ca) or in any Toyota Dealership across Canada.
Peace of mind
Avalon is provided with Toyota's no deductible, no transfer fee, comprehensive warranty that covers the entire vehicle for three years/60,000 kilometres. Power train components are covered for five years/100,000 kilometres, major emission control components for eight years/130,000 kilometres and corrosion perforation for five years with unlimited distance.
Toyota also provides 24-hour Roadside Assistance for all models. Help is just a phone call away at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. Roadside emergency services include battery boost, lockout service, fuel delivery, tire change, winching, and even towing. Optional Extra Care Protection (ECP) is also available, which includes travel planning and trip interruption assistance, vehicle rental help, lubrication maintenance, and mechanical protection of 17 major mechanical component groups for up to six years/200,000 km.