Equal parts eco-friendly, stylish and fun to drive, the Prius continues to strike a chord with Canadian customers. With new standard features and a manufacturer's suggested retail price starting at $29,500, those considering a more environmentally friendly vehicle have even more reason to do so. The 2008 Toyota Prius now comes with new standard features such as an electrochromatic rear view mirror, garage door opener, 16" aluminum alloy wheels, coloured rear spoiler and fog lamps. Front seat mounted side airbags and front head / side airbags are also new additions to the standard equipment found in the 2008 Prius.
"Increasingly, Canadians are looking for ways to make things better for the planet, and they are choosing to do business with companies offering environmentally responsible products. Toyota Canada's fuel-efficient, low-emissions vehicles offer them a choice in which they do not have to compromise in terms of style and performance. The federal and provincial governments, too, have stepped forward to support these vehicles through incentives and rebates," noted Stephen Beatty, Managing Director of Toyota Canada Inc. "But we also recognize that this type of social change is most effective when all stakeholders work together, so we're pleased to stand behind these initiatives and offer Canadians even more reasons to go green with the introduction of the 2008 Toyota Prius."
The 2008 Prius is extremely well-equipped with numerous other performance, comfort, convenience and safety features, including:
- An audio system featuring AM/FM stereo/compact disc player, six speakers and steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- A climate control system featuring air conditioning with automatic temperature control, cabin air filter, rear seat heater ducts, and steering wheel-mounted HVAC controls;
- A 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with fold down centre armrest;
- Power door locks with key lockout protection and keyless entry;
- Push button start;
- A full suite of instrumentation including a multi-information display, outside temperature gauge, dual trip odometer and digital clock;
- Power windows with tinted, high solar energy-absorbing glass and driver side auto up/down function;
- A tire pressure monitoring system;
- Chrome interior door handles;
- Tilt steering column;
- Cruise control;
- Accessory power outlets and retained accessory power;
- Engine immobilizer;
- Heated power remote exterior mirrors and dual illuminated vanity mirrors;
- Flexible interior storage, including a carpeted cargo area with up to 16.1 cubic feet of storage behind the front seats, door map pockets, cargo area storage compartments on the sides and below, a centre console box with armrest, overhead console box, upper and lower glove box, and front seat back pockets;
- Illuminated entry, cargo lamp, glove box lamp, and map lamps;
- A stylish and aerodynamic exterior with a 0.26 coefficient of drag, featuring front and rear splash guards and colour-matched bumpers, rear spoiler, mirrors, grille, and exterior door handles;
- Variable intermittent wipers including an intermittent rear window wiper/washer;
- Halogen headlamps.
The 2008 Prius may be ordered with one of two options packages. The Special Edition Premium Package adds control, comfort and safety features, including:
- Toyota's Vehicle Stability Control system;
- A premium JBL Audio system featuring AM/FM stereo/in-dash six disc CD changer with MP3/WMA capability, Bluetooth capability, an audio auxiliary input jack, and nine speakers;
- The Toyota Smart Key system;
- A back-up camera.
The Special Edition Premium with Navigation Package includes all items in the Special Edition Premium Package, plus a DVD-based navigation system.
The 2008 Toyota Prius goes on sale in Canada today. The Prius carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price starting at $29,500.
2008 TOYOTA PRIUS - PRODUCT DETAIL
A proven, environmentally friendly alternative
The Toyota Prius is the world's first mass-produced full-hybrid gasoline-electric vehicle. Since its introduction (in Japan in 1997 and Canada in 2000), Toyota has sold more than 700,000 Prius models worldwide, making it far and away the most popular hybrid model on the planet, and proving the reliability and performance of Toyota's industry-leading Hybrid Synergy Drive.
The clean, efficient power of the Hybrid Synergy Drive
The 2008 Toyota Prius is powered by the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive, which combines a fuel-efficient gasoline engine with a high-torque electric motor, robust storage battery and sophisticated energy management system to maximize fuel efficiency and minimize tailpipe emissions.
The heart of the system is a 1.5 Litre 4 cylinder engine featuring a lightweight aluminium alloy block, dual overhead cams, 16 valves, variable valve timing with intelligence, electronic fuel injection and a stainless steel exhaust system. This is mated to a high-torque electric motor/generator and a 500-volt storage battery to create a system that achieves a remarkable Tier 2 Bin 3 emissions rating. The Hybrid Synergy Drive produces up to 110 HP and up to 67 lb-ft of torque to provide smoother, more responsive acceleration.
The Prius is fitted with a continuously variable transmission that adjusts effective gear ratios to maximize horsepower and torque at any engine speed, providing the mid-size Prius with a fuel efficiency rating of just 4.0L/100km city and 4.2L/100km highway.
The front-wheel drive Prius is fitted with electric rack and pinion power steering and Toyota's Traction Control system to enhance driver control.
Ride quality is smooth thanks to an independent front suspension featuring Macpherson gas struts and a stabilizer bar. This works in conjunction with a torsion beam style rear suspension with stabilizer bar.
The Prius has plenty of stopping power thanks to power assisted front ventilated disc brakes and rear drum brakes, enhanced with Toyota's Antilock Braking System with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist technologies.
All models ride on sure-footed P195/55R16 all season tires mounted on 16" aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks.
Comfort and safety
Inside, the 2008 Prius holds up to five people in comfort and style, or up to 16.1 cubic feet of cargo. The 2008 Prius is also designed with occupant safety in mind. Standard safety systems include driver and front passenger air bags, front seat mounted side air bags and front and rear head/side curtain air bags. Three-point lap and shoulder seatbelts are fitted in all passenger positions, and include adjustable "B" pillar shoulder belt anchors and pre-tensioners and force limiters for the front seating positions. Younger occupants are kept safe with anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks.
Customers may personalize their 2008 Prius using the Vehicle Configurator on Toyota Canada's web site (www.toyota.ca) or in any Toyota Dealership across Canada.
Peace of mind
The 2008 Prius is provided with Toyota's no deductible, no transfer fee, comprehensive warranty that covers the entire vehicle for three years/60,000 kilometres. Power train components are covered for five years/100,000 kilometres, while hybrid-specific components are covered for eight years/160,000 kilometres. Major emission control components are covered for eight years/130,000 kilometres and corrosion perforation for five years with unlimited distance.
Toyota also provides 24-hour Roadside Assistance for all models. Help is just a phone call away at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. Roadside emergency services include battery boost, lockout service, fuel delivery, tire change, winching, and even towing. Optional Extra Care Protection (ECP) is also available, which includes travel planning and trip interruption assistance, vehicle rental help, lubrication maintenance, and mechanical protection of 17 major mechanical component groups for up to six years/200,000 kilometres.