Bold and stylish, the 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS delivers sophisticated features that highlight this upscale full-size sedan
(TORONTO) – The 2012 Avalon XLS with its fresh, modern styling, impressive performance and spacious cabin returns for 2012 with an impressive suite of standard features including the Toyota Star Safety System.
“The Toyota Avalon XLS is the refined full-size sedan, that offers a remarkable list of standard features to engage drivers at an excellent starting price of $41, 195,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “The Avalon also delivers a clean drive, as it is one of the few vehicles in its class to be awarded the Tier 2 Ultra Low Emission rating.”
Power and performance
The 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS makes every road trip a pleasure – slipping through the elements with poise and precision. At its heart is a finely-tuned, remarkable efficient 268 horsepower 3.5 L V6. Fitted with dual overhead cams, Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), a Direct Ignition System (DIS) and Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS), the Avalon’s engine delivers power and performance in equal measure.
This is coupled to a six-speed automatic super electronically controlled transmission with sequential shift mode capability, delivering impressive on-ramp acceleration and precise, seamless shifts, even as it minimizes fuel use and emissions. The Avalon XLS is rated at just 9.1 L / 100 KM (city/highway combined) and carries a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and Control
Control starts with steering, and the Avalon XLS features an elegant wood and leather-wrapped steering wheel on a tilting/telescoping steering column that provides a multitude of adjustments for optimum driving comfort. This wheel controls a rack and pinion steering system with variable assist that delivers tighter, more precise cornering at lower speeds and improved road feel and control when on the highway.
The Avalon XLS’ finely tuned front suspension features gas-filled MacPherson struts, coil springs and a stabilizer bar. The refined rear suspension is built around multi-link control arms, gas-filled MacPherson struts, coil springs and a stabilizer bar. These systems work in harmony to provide tight control, outstanding stability and ultra-smooth cornering for an exceptional ride.
All Avalon XLS models ride on P215/55 R17 tires on 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks, and carry a full-size spare tire with alloy wheel.
From its impact absorbing structure to advanced active and passive safety systems, every 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs, offering peace of mind to drivers and passengers including as standard, the Toyota Star Safety System. :
- All Avalon XLS models are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System, suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents. The Toyota Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and brake assist enhancements (BA), plus Smart Stop Technology (SST);
- The Avalon XLS surrounds driver and friends in a suite of seven airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, a driver’s knee airbag, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure including impact absorbing side beams that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- Front ventilated disc and rear disc brakes;
- Three point lap and shoulder belts for all five seating positions, plus pretensioners, force limiters and adjustable shoulder belt anchors for the front seatbelts;
- Active front headrests with whiplash protection;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks.
Every Avalon XLS features a comfortable, elegant interior with a full suite of convenience and style features as standard. These include:
- A premium 12-speaker JBL Synthesis Audio System featuring AM/FM stereo/four-disc CD changer with mp3/WMA capability, auxiliary audio and USB inputs for portable music players, Bluetooth connectivity, the Radio Data System, Digital Signal Processor, integrated XM Satellite Radio, sub-woofer and steering wheel-mounted audio and Bluetooth controls;
- Dual zone automatic climate control with dust/pollen/odour filter, rear seat heater ducts and steering wheel-mounted HVAC controls;
- Leather seating, including: Eight-way power adjustable and heated driver and front passenger seats, featuring a two-setting driver’s seat memory system; plus reclining rear seats with fold-down centre armrest with pass-through;
- Power door locks with keyless entry;
- Power windows with auto up/down function and window jam protection on all windows;
- High solar energy-absorbing window glass;
- A DVD-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera;
- A full instrument suite including Optitron electronic gauges, tachometer, dual trip odometer, multi-information display, digital clock, and outside temperature gauge;
- Cruise control;
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated compass;
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors;
- An elegant interior featuring leather seat surfaces, a woodgrain and leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, woodgrain cabin trim, simulated leather door trim, chrome inner door handles and aluminum scuff plates;
- Illuminated entry, door courtesy lamps, front and rear area lamps, map lamps, and trunk lighting;
- Clever storage throughout the vehicle, including driver and passenger opening door pockets, sliding front centre console box, front seat back pockets, a cargo net, overhead sunglass storage, front and rear cup holders, door map pockets and coat hooks;
- Integrated garage door opener;
- Power fuel lid release;
- Anti-theft system and engine immobilizer;
- Tire pressure monitoring system;
- Dual power adjustable heated exterior mirrors with integrated signal lamps and auto-dimming driver’s side mirror;
- Front and rear splash guards;
- A power moon roof with sun shade;
- Dual, stainless steel exhaust;
- Variable intermittent wipers with mist feature;
- Projector style halogen headlamps with the automatic headlamp system;
- Fog lamps.
Models and Packages
The 2012 Toyota Avalon is available in a single, fully-equipped XLS trim level.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Toyota Avalon XLS is now on sale at Canadian Toyota Dealers, with a suggested retail price starting at $41,195.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.