Toyota Canada reports 30% year over year sales gain in July
New monthly record for Toyota trucks, Prius family hybrids, Lexus GS, Scion
TORONTO, ON – August 1, 2012 – Following a strong first half which saw year over year sales increases across all three brands, Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) kicked off the second half of 2012 with July sales that broke monthly records for many models and segments.
TCI reported sales of 15,819 Toyota, Lexus and Scion passenger cars, SUVs and trucks in July – up 30% from the same month in 2011. This included a new July record for trucks across all brands, up 31.4% to 7,329. Hybrids also continued to sell briskly in July, making a significant contribution to the segments in which they are offered. In the intermediate car segment, hybrid models accounted for 45.9% of Toyota’s July sales.
Toyota sales highlights for July 2012 (vs. July 2011)
- Toyota sales: 14,028 (up 30.3%)
- Toyota passenger car sales: 7,317 (up 30.1%)
- Yaris Hatch sales: 736 (up 61.4%)
- Toyota truck sales: 6,711 (up 30.5%) :: New July record
- Canadian-built RAV4 sales: 2,190 (up 49.3%)
- Tundra 4x4 sales: 697 (up 40.8%)
- Sequoia sales: 50 (up 38.9%)
- Tacoma 4x4 sales: 690 (up 33.5%)
- Sienna sales: 1,233 (up 21.7%)
- Toyota hybrid sales: 1,183 :: Hybrids represented 8.4% of Toyota sales for a new July record
- Prius family sales: 884 (up 1,704.1%) :: New July record
- Camry Hybrid sales: 227 (up 609.4%)
- Highlander Hybrid sales: 72 (up 111.8%)
“Canadians are embracing new models like the Prius c, the Prius v and the next-generation Camry Hybrid – vehicles that deliver high fuel efficiency and low emissions,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “In addition, commitment to emotional vehicle design is striking a chord with Canadian drivers.”
Lexus sales highlights for July 2012 (vs. July 2011)
- Lexus luxury sales: 1,107 (up 18.3%)
- Lexus luxury SUV sales: 618 (up 42.1%)
- GX sales: 33 (up 73.7%)
- RX 350 sales: 487 (up 36.4%)
- RX 450h sales: 71 (up 31.5%)
“Passion and design join the Lexus reputation for ownership satisfaction in the next generation, 2013 GS 350 and GS 450h – and our Canadian guests are embracing the new GS in record-setting numbers,” noted Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. “We look forward to welcoming more Canadians as our guests as we apply our exciting new design to more vehicles in our fleet – including the redesigned ES 350 and first-ever ES hybrid.”
Scion sales highlights for July 2012 (vs. July 2011)
- Scion sales: 684 (up 47.4%) :: New July record
“Aggressive performance meets striking style in the all-new Scion FR-S – which has ignited Scion sales,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. “This year, Scion is establishing itself with new Canadian drivers.”
Please click here
for full Toyota Canada Inc. July 2012 sales results.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.