The 2011 Toyota Matrix: Additional safety, fresh styling and new options packages for the versatile, efficient and powerful Canadian-built compact crossover
(TORONTO) – Making their Canadian auto show debuts today at the 2011 Montreal International Auto Show are the refreshed 2011 Canadian-built Toyota Corolla and Matrix.
There’s a 2011 Matrix for every Canadian driver, with three models featuring a choice of front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive, two engine sizes, manual or automatic transmissions, enhanced safety, new convenience features and updated options packages for 2011.
“Every Canadian seeking a driving experience that slips seamlessly from daily commute to night in the city will find the style, comfort and performance they need and want in the Toyota Matrix,” said Warren Orton, Director at Toyota Canada Inc. “For 2011, Toyota enhances the extreme crossover with even more driving fun, remarkable efficiency and built-in-Canada quality – complete with the Toyota Star Safety System as standard and fresh options packages for even greater versatility.”
Highlights for 2011
- All models are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System™, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist enhancements, plus Toyota’s Smart Stop Technology
- Redesigned wheel covers, standard steering wheel audio controls and new sporty flat bottom steering wheel design adopted for all Matrix models
- Matrix XRS features a fresh look with redesigned front fascia, plus an updated audio system now featuring a USB audio input jack
- A new “S” package for the Matrix and Matrix AWD adds fog lamps, a power moon roof, exterior styling accents, an upgraded audio system and more
- Cruise control is now standard on all Matrix AWD models
Power and performance
Two engine sizes let Canadian drivers pick the performance they want and the efficiency they need.
The front-wheel-drive 2011 Toyota Matrix is fitted with a powerful yet efficient 1.8L four-cylinder engine with Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i) that delivers 132 peak horsepower and up to 128 lb-ft of torque.
The front-wheel-drive Matrix XRS and all-wheel-drive Matrix sport a 2.4L four-cylinder with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that generates up to 158 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. Toyota engineers have enhanced both engines for performance and efficiency with systems such as sequential multiport fuel injection.
Three transmissions are offered, depending on model. A five-speed manual close-ratio transmission features overdrive, a four-speed automatic and five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT) sport overdrive, lockup torque converter and transmission cooler. Available transmission by model, with fuel efficiency (city/highway combined), are listed below:
- Matrix :: 1.8 L 4-cyl :: 5-speed manual :: 7.0 L / 100 KM
- Matrix :: 1.8 L 4-cyl :: 4-speed auto ECT :: 7.3 L / 100 KM
- Matrix XRS :: 2.4 L 4-cyl :: 5-speed manual :: 8.4 L / 100 KM
- Matrix XRS :: 2.4 L 4-cyl :: 5-speed auto ECT :: 8.5 L / 100 KM
- Matrix AWD :: 2.4 L 4-cyl :: 4-speed auto ECT :: 9.1 L / 100 KM
All Matrix models achieve a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and control
Performance relies on handling and control. That’s why every Matrix is fitted with highly responsive electric power steering and suspensions engineered to match each engine’s output.
All models sport an independent front suspension with Macpherson struts, while the Matrix XRS front suspension is enhanced with a sport strut tower brace. At the rear, the Matrix rides on a torsion beam type suspension, while the Matrix XRS and Matrix AWD feature an independent double-wishbone suspension. All models feature stabilizer bars front and back for added handling confidence.
All models feature Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control as standard, while the Matrix AWD also sports Toyota’s Active Torque Control System.
Every Matrix is generously equipped with a suite of active and passive safety systems:
- As a 2011 model, all Matrix models are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System™
- Disc brakes all around feature ventilated discs up front to shed heat effectively in performance braking situations
- Every Matrix features a six-airbag system (dual stage driver and front passenger air bags, front seat mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags)
- All-position three-point lap and shoulder belts with adjustable B-pillar shoulder belt anchors, front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, plus active front headrests with whiplash protection, anchor points for child protector seats and child-protector rear door locks
- Reflector-style halogen headlamps, intermittent wipers and more
Generous comfort and convenience features, a choice of options packages
Every 2011 Matrix is well equipped with comfort, convenience and style amenities.
All models feature: audio systems with a CD player with MP3/WMA capability, auxiliary audio input jack and steering wheel-mounted audio controls, a cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts, a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, an instrument panel featuring dual trip odometer, outside temperature gauge and digital clock, tilting/telescoping steering column, dual vanity mirrors, a cargo area lamp and map lamps, front and rear cup holders, a driver’s coin case compartment, a 12-volt accessory power outlet, cargo area tie-down rings, door map pockets, colour-keyed bumpers, foldable, power adjustable and heated mirrors and more.
2011 Toyota Matrix
The 2011 Toyota Matrix features a four-speaker audio system, reclining front passenger seat, a front centre console box with lid, integrated bottle holders in the front and rear doors, 16” steel wheels and more.
- The Matrix may be ordered with the Convenience Package, which adds: air conditioning, power windows with driver’s side auto down function, power door locks, a rear bumper protector, keyless entry, a tire pressure monitoring system, cruise control and more
- The “S” Package, new for 2011, builds on the Convenience Package with: 17” aluminum alloy wheels with wheel locks, a roof-mounted spoiler, scuff plates, fog lamps, power moon roof, an upgraded audio system with six-speakers, USB audio input and Bluetooth capability, an exterior enhanced with a sport grille, front and rear sport fascias and a chrome exhaust tip, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob and more
2011 Toyota Matrix XRS
The 2011 Toyota Matrix XRS makes a statement with a full-suite of standard amenities. These include: a six-speaker audio system with USB input and Bluetooth capability, sport fabric seat coverings, a reclining front passenger’s seat with fold-down seatback, air conditioning, an auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated compass, power door locks with keyless entry, windows with driver’s side auto down function, a leather wrapped steering wheel, a front centre console box with lid, overhead sunglass storage, seatback pocket in the driver’s seat, integrated bottle holders in the front and rear doors, special XRS scuff plates, cruise control, a 115 volt accessory power outlet, a tire pressure monitoring system, 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks, a rear bumper protector, front and rear splash guards, a power moon roof, a chrome exhaust tip, front and rear sport fascias and roof mounted spoiler, fog lamps, a rear window intermittent wiper with washer and more.
2011 Toyota Matrix AWD
The Toyota Matrix AWD delivers added driving confidence with all-wheel-drive and a generous suite of standard features. These include: a four-speaker audio system, a reclining front passenger’s seat with fold-down seatback, air conditioning, power door locks with keyless entry, power windows with driver’s side auto down function, a front centre console box with lid, seatback pocket in the driver’s seat, integrated bottle holders in the front and rear doors, cruise control, a tire pressure monitoring system, 16” steel wheels, roof rails with crossbars, a rear window intermittent wiper with washer and more.
- The “S” Package, new for 2011, adds several style, comfort and performance amenities, including: 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks, fog lamps, a sport grille, front and rear sport fascias, a moon roof, an electrochromatic rear view mirror, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, scuff plates, a 115 volt accessory power outlet, an upgraded audio system with six speakers, USB audio input and Bluetooth capability, a chrome exhaust tip and more
Pricing and availability:
The 2011 Toyota Matrix is now on sale at Toyota Dealers across Canada, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $16,715 for the front wheel drive Toyota Matrix with 1.8L engine, $24,075 for the front wheel drive Matrix XRS with 2.4L engine and $24,070 for the Matrix AWD.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks, and Toyota Industrial Equipment. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every new 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver. The Toyota Corolla, Matrix and RAV4 are built for the North American market at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. (TMMC) in Cambridge, Ontario, a recent recipient of the Gold Plant Quality Award in the 2010 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS).
For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit media.toyota.ca.