TORONTO, ONTARIO, June 1, 2018 – Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) reported that hybrid vehicle sales are up 43.9% compared to May 2017, its best month ever, with a total of 2,766 units sold.
TCI saw a 0.9% increase in overall sales during the month of May with 24,113 units sold. The Toyota division reported a total of 22,021 vehicles sold, up 1.9%, and the Lexus luxury division sold 2,092 units, down 8.3% compared to 2017.
Rising consumer demand for electrified vehicles helped bolster Toyota Prius sales by 115% compared to 2017, which included sales of 425 Prius Prime Plug-in Hybrid Electric units. And Toyota’s popular RAV4 hybrid saw its best sales month ever with 795 units sold, up 36.1% compared to last year. With a growing demand from Canadian consumers, Toyota recently announced that the RAV4 hybrid will be manufactured on Canadian soil starting in 2019, expanding the existing RAV4 production in Ontario.
Additional May Highlights
- Toyota division truck sales of 12,490 units, up 0.2% (best month ever)
- Toyota RAV4 sales of 5,525 units, including RAV4 hybrid, up 36.1%
- Toyota Prius sales of 688 units, up 115%
- Includes Toyota Prius Prime sales of 425 units
- Toyota Prius V sales, 295 units, up 23.9%
- Toyota Yaris sales of 886 units, up 25.7%
- Toyota Camry sales of 1,610 units, up 26.9%
- Toyota 4Runner sales of 760 units, up 13.6% (new May record)
- Lexus NX sales of 683 units, up 9.3% (new May record)
Please click here for full TCI May sales results.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Toyota has sold over 5 million vehicles in Canada through a national network of 287 Toyota and Lexus dealerships. Toyota is dedicated to bringing safety, quality, dependability and reliability in the vehicles Canadians drive and the service they receive. TCI’s head office is located in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver. Toyota operates two manufacturing facilities in Canada. Having produced more than eight million vehicles, popular Canadian models built at these facilities include Toyota RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid.