(TORONTO) – Since the model was introduced in 1984, more than 100,000 Canadian drivers have enjoyed the performance and versatility of the 4Runner, Toyota’s most popular, most capable mid-size SUV. Now, even more Canadians can discover adventure on and off the road - in the fifth-generation, 2011 Toyota 4Runner.
“Canadian drivers have embraced 4Runner’s proven heritage of power, performance and passion – built on more than 70 years of Toyota truck expertise,” said Warren Orton, Director at Toyota Canada Inc. “The 2011 Toyota 4Runner embodies that passion like never before, with remarkable off-road capability, civilized on-road performance, and a versatile design. Plus, new for this year, we have included the third row seat as part of the Upgrade Package, giving even more 4Runner owners the flexibility to carry additional passengers.”
Highlights for 2011
- SR5 grade upgrade package now available with third-row seat, increasing passenger capacity from five to seven
- New folding Rear Headrest design for 2nd Row seats
Power and performance
The 2011 Toyota 4Runner is the mid-size SUV that delivers big power, refinement and efficiency, thanks to a ruggedly designed 4.0L 24-valve V6 engine with Dual variable valve timing that generates 270 horsepower and 278 lb-ft of torque. Emissions are rated at Tier 2 Bin 5. 4Runners are also fitted with a heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator, transmission cooler and heater for maximum performance in any climate.
Coupled to a five-speed Sequential Shift super ECT automatic transmission, the 4Runner engine enjoys impressive fuel efficiency at 11.1 L/100 KM city/highway combined.
All models feature a Towing Package – with a heavy duty tow-hitch receiver, 4-pin and 7-pin wiring connectors, supplemental transmission cooler and transmission fluid temperature gauge.
Performance and handling
4Runner is available with two types of four-wheel-drive systems. SR5 Trail Upgrade Package gets a heavy duty Part-Time four-wheel-drive system while the Limited Package is equipped with a full-time 4WD system giving the 4Runner go-anywhere performance. Steel protector plates offer protection for the fuel tank and transfer case while off-roading.
All models ride on an independent double-wishbone front suspension and 4-link rear suspension, featuring gas shocks, coil springs and stabilizer bars. The result is a perfect blend of rugged off-road capability yet comfortable on-road ride.
Every 4Runner is fitted with a generous suite of active and passive safety systems that include:
- Standard Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and active traction control
- Smart Stop Technology (SST), designed to reduce engine power when the brake is firmly applied helping to bring the vehicle to a stop, even if the accelerator pedal is fully depressed
- Brakes feature ventilated discs front and rear, enhanced with anti-lock braking system, Brake Assist (BA) and electronic brakeforce distribution technologies
- Eight airbags (dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, front seat mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, and roll-sensing front and rear head/side curtain airbags)
- Three point lap and shoulder belts in all positions, plus pretensioners, force limiters and anchor height adjusters for the front seatbelts;
- Younger travellers are kept safe with anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks;
Toyota’s iconic sport utility vehicle is comes in one well-equipped model – The 4Runner SR5 V6 – with four options packages. All models feature a generous list of standard features, such as:
- 17” aluminum alloy wheels, running boards, roof rails, front and rear splash guards, fender flares, spoiler and more
- Power adjustable driver and front passenger Sport seat
- Tilting/telescoping steering wheel
- Instrument gauges with eco-drive monitor, multi-information display and more
- 40/20/40-split folding recline second-row seats
- XM Satellite Radio-ready audio system eight speakers, and a unique “party mode” setting
- Power windows with auto up/down function including power rear hatch window
- Eight Airbags and more
Available options packages
Four options packages let Canadian drivers tailor their 4Runner to their specific needs.
- The Upgrade Package adds third-row seats, heated front Sport seats, leather seat surfaces, Steering Wheel and gear shift knob, auto-dimming rear-view mirror with integrated back-up camera, Bluetooth capability, XM Satellite Radio, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, USB audio input, power moonroof and more
- Those seeking maximum off-road performance need look no further than the Trail Edition, which features numerous handling and control systems, including Crawl Control, Multi-Terrain Select, Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, Rear Differential Lock, Multi-Terrain Antilock Braking System, water-repellent seat fabric, two 120-volt/400-watt power outlets, Sliding Cargo Area Tray, a distinctive rugged exterior design with hood scoop and more
- For a more upscale driving experience, the Limited Package builds on the Upgrade Package with full-time four-wheel-drive, X-REAS Sport Suspension system, 20” aluminum alloy wheels, dual-zone automatic climate control, a JBL audio system with six-disc CD changer and 15 speakers, Smart Key system with Push Button Start, chrome exterior details, Puddle Lamps and more
- The Limited Package with Navigation adds a voice activated DVD-based navigation system with back-up camera within the navigation display, XM Real Time Traffic capability and more
Pricing and availability
The 2011 Toyota 4Runner is now on sale across Canada. Toyota’s iconic mid-size SUV carries a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $36,820 for the SR5 V6, $42,800 for the Upgrade Package, $44,130 for the Trail Edition, $48,015 for the Limited Package and $49,665 for the Limited Package with Navigation.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks, and Toyota Industrial Equipment. TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit na1.ipressroom.com.