(TORONTO) – Load up and go anywhere in the 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser – the rough and ready SUV that masters all off-road environments and builds on its legendary namesake, the FJ40 Landcruiser, with advanced performance, handling, control and safety systems.
“With its distinctive style, tool-inspired colours and no-holds-barred off-road performance, the FJ Cruiser has earned its place as an iconic Toyota truck since we introduced the model in 2007,” said Warren Orton, Director at Toyota Canada Inc. “Canadian drivers looking for a mid-size vehicle with tremendous prowess and the tough heritage of a Toyota truck will find even more to love in the 2011 model, with many refinements that make the FJ fun to drive – on and off the road.”
Highlights for 2011
- Updated standard audio system with integrated XM Satellite radio, roof-mounted antenna, USB audio input and Bluetooth compatibility
- New style 17” alloy wheels
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Steering wheel-mounted Bluetooth and audio controls
- Outer rear seats upgraded with folding headrests
- FJ Cruiser with six-speed manual transmission now features all equipment formerly on the Offroad Package
Power and performance
The 2011 FJ Cruiser features trail-tuned 260-horsepower V6 with up to 271 lb-ft of torque to get going and the horsepower to keep going. Choose from a five-speed Super Electronically Controlled Transmission with part-time 4WD or a six-speed manual with full-time 4WD. Either way, the FJ Cruiser packs a rugged drive train that delivers power to maximum effect, when and where it’s needed, to meet the demands of serious offroading.
With Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence, Sequential Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection, Acoustic Control Induction System and other engine management technologies, the FJ’ V6 combines brawn and sophistication, improving performance, increasing fuel efficiency, and lowering emissions. FJ Cruisers with automatic transmission achieve a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 11.2L / 100km, while the manual transmission models record a fuel efficiency of 12.2L / 100km, and both drivetrains deliver a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and control
The Toyota handling and control technologies in the FJ Cruiser make it easy to answer the question “Where do you want to go today?” That’s because the FJ Cruiser features a suspension system, drivetrain and body engineered to withstand punishing off-road adventures.
A double-wishbone front suspension and 4-link rear suspension with lateral track bar are fitted with stabilizer bars, gas shocks and coil springs. The drivetrain features a rear differential lock and two-speed transfer case, plus engine, fuel tank and transfer case protector plates. Variable gear ratio power steering provides maximum responsiveness when trail-busting, plus the stability that makes for comfortable highway driving.
The FJ Cruiser features a 9.6-inch ground clearance and 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels with a fresh design for 2011. As a full-adventure vehicle, all FJ Cruisers include a full-size spare tire mounted on the rear door.
Every FJ Cruiser is generously equipped with a suite of active and passive safety systems:
- All 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser models come standard equipped with the Star Safety System™. This integration of active safety features is designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. The Star Safety System™ includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- 16” front and 15” rear ventilated disc brakes
- Every FJ Cruiser features a suite of six airbags to help protect occupants, including Dual-stage Driver and Front Passenger Airbags, Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags and Front and Rear Side Curtain Airbags
- All-position three-point lap and shoulder belts front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, plus active front headrests with whiplash protection and anchor points for child protector seats
- A rock-solid frame complemented by a highly rigid, high-tensile steel body, including specially engineered side doors that absorb then redirect impact energy around and away from the passenger cabin
- Halogen headlamps, variable intermittent wipers, a direct tire pressure monitoring system and more
Generous comfort and convenience features, a choice of options packages
Every 2011 FJ Cruiser is surprisingly well equipped with comfort, convenience and style amenities for on and off the road.
All models feature: A six-speaker audio system that’s new for 2011, featuring a CD player with MP3/WMA capability, auxiliary audio input jack, USB audio input, Bluetooth capability, and integrated XM Satellite radio, air conditioning with cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts, water repellent seat fabric, a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with fold down headrests in the outboard seating positions, power door locks, high visibility black on white meters and instrument panel trim keyed to the exterior vehicle colour, auto-dimming rear view mirror and dual vanity mirrors, power windows with driver’s side auto-down function, tilt steering column and steering wheel-mounted audio and Bluetooth controls, rubber floor and all-weather floor mats; 12 volt accessory power outlet, cargo area tie-down rings, shopping bag hooks, cargo area side storage compartments, door map pockets and a front passenger seat back pocket, map lamps and more.
The FJ Cruiser with six-speed manual transmission is now standard equipped with the Off-road Package for 2011. This package is also available for the FJ Cruiser with five-speed automatic transmission. It includes: Front and rear Bilstein shock absorbers, passenger seat foldable armrest, rear privacy glass, a floating ball-type multi-information display with compass, outside temperature and inclinometer, a roof rack, power adjustable mirrors with exterior mirror image lights, cruise control, an auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated back-up camera and keyless entry.
The FJ Cruiser with five-speed automatic may also be ordered with the Adventure Package, which includes everything in the Offroad Package, plus: a 115-volt/400-watt power outlet, a JBL Synthesis audio system with rear subwoofer and 10 speakers, a cargo area mat, running boards, leather-wrapped steering wheel, colour-keyed interior door trim and metallic shift knob.
Pricing and availability:
The 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser is now on sale at Toyota Dealers across Canada, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $33,725 for the FJ Cruiser with five-speed automatic, and $37,300 for the FJ Cruiser with six-speed manual and Offroad Package.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks, and Toyota Industrial Equipment. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.
For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit na1.ipressroom.com.