(TORONTO) – Spring is traditionally the busiest car-buying season in Canada, and as the market showed signs of restored confidence, Canadian drivers turned to Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) for quality, fuel efficiency, and value in April.
TCI’s sales of Toyota and Lexus cars, SUVs and trucks totalled 21,220 in April (off 16.6% from April 2008). This included 19,599 Toyotas sold during the month (off 17.9%, a stronger performance versus March 2009). Lexus also enjoyed its best-ever April, with 1,621 models sold (up 4%).
Highlights for April 2009 (versus April 2008):
· The addition of new 2WD editions, starting at just $24,295, helped the Toyota RAV4 achieve an all-time record. With 2,718 models sold (up 18.9%), this is the fourth-straight record sales month for Canadian-built RAV4.
· The Toyota Venza continued to show strong sales growth, with the powerful yet efficient four-cylinder edition added to the line up. With April sales of 948, this was the strongest month yet since its debut in Canadian showrooms this past January.
· Yaris Sedan enjoyed a best-ever April record, with 2,936 models sold, up 7.2%. Yaris Hatchback enjoyed strong sales as well, with 2,135 models sold, up 10.1%.
· The Canadian-built Lexus RX 350 enjoyed an all-time record month. Following a record March for the RX350, the all-new 2010 model helped power April RX sales to 748 (up 48.4%).
· The RX 400h hybrid luxury sedan had a best-ever April record, with sales of 216 (up 87.8%).
"The Canadian automotive market is showing renewed confidence, and strong sales of the Toyota RAV4 and Yaris series point to this change,” noted Warren Orton, Director at TCI. “Toyota’s Red Tag Days incentives have been an important factor in encouraging Canadian vehicle purchases, and for May even more vehicles benefit from enhanced cash, lease and finance offers.”
“We thank Canadian drivers for their continued support this spring,” Orton continued. “From initial purchase, to an affordable cost of ownership, to high resale value, Canadians know they can trust a Toyota to maximize the value of their vehicle-buying dollar – today and tomorrow.”
More information on Toyota’s Red Tag Days event can be found on www.toyota.ca, or at any Toyota Dealer.
"Strong RX350 and RX 400h sales demonstrate that Canadians are seeking advanced technology in their luxury motoring experience,” said Larry Hutchinson, Director of Lexus in Canada. “We thank the Canadian drivers that joined Lexus in April, and look forward to welcoming new Lexus guests in the coming months as we add the all-new IS C luxury hardtop convertible, RX 450h SUV and HS 250h hybrid sedan to the line up.”
More information on Lexus vehicles and offers can be found at www.lexus.ca or at any Lexus Dealer.