December Toyota brand sales up 41.8%
TORONTO, ON – January 4, 2012 – A year highlighted by new model introductions in several key automotive segments ended with a six-straight month of market share growth for the Toyota brand.
- Total December sales of 13,706 Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles represent a 41.5% boost over the same month in 2010.
“Six straight months of solid market share growth for the Toyota brand is a great way to finish 2011: It tells us we are delivering the cars, SUVs and trucks that Canadians want to drive – including Canada’s best selection of fuel-efficient, stylish and fun to drive vehicles in the perennially popular compact car category,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “It’s also clear evidence that our global supply chain is fully recovered. With more exciting new vehicles on the way across all three of our brands, we look forward to continued growth in 2012.”
Toyota sales highlights for December 2011 (vs. December 2010)
- Total Toyota sales: 12,291 (up 41.8%)
- Toyota car sales: 6,137 (up 39.7%)
- Yaris Hatch sales: 661 (up 195.1%)
- Prius/Prius v sales: 319 (up 184.8%)
- Camry/Camry Hybrid sales: 1,389 (up 171.8%)
- Toyota truck sales: 6,154 (up 44.1%)
- RAV4 sales: 2,285 (up 92.5%) for best-ever December
- Venza sales: 1,098 (up 61.5%)
- Tundra sales: 532 (up 46.2%)
- Tacoma sales: 686 (up 31.2%)
- Toyota hybrid sales: 609 (up 120.7%)
“The redesigned 2012 Toyota Camry has led the mid-size segment in its first two full months of sales. This, plus strong sales of new models – including the all-new Prius v and the redesigned Yaris Hatch – have helped Toyota grow 19 % in the fourth quarter,” Mr. Wearing continued.
Lexus sales highlights for December 2011 (vs. December 2010)
- Total Lexus sales: 1,104 (up 31.1%) for third-best December
- Lexus luxury car sales: 468 (up 25.5%)
- Lexus luxury SUV sales: 636 (up 35.6%)
- RX 350/450h sales: 593(up 39.5%)
- Lexus hybrid sales: 220 (up 129.2%)
“In 2011, Lexus sold 2,369 hybrids, up 26.5% from the previous year,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. “Thanks to the popularity of the CT 200h, which had a remarkable first year in the market, our advanced technology hybrids accounted for one in five Lexus models sold. With new models on the way, including the all-new 2013 GS 350 and its hybrid edition, we look forward to continuing to help Canadian Guests pursue more moments of perfection in 2012.”
Scion sales highlights for December 2011 (vs. December 2010)
- Total Scion sales: 311 (up 75.7%)
- tC: 132 (up 158.8%)
- xD: 65 (up 103.1%)
- xB: 106 (up 12.8%)
“We are thrilled with the success the Scion brand has seen in its first full year of sales,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. “Scion enjoys one of the youngest demographics in the industry, with the average customer age at 37. We are proud that 64 per cent of these buyers are new to the Toyota family and 10 per cent are first time buyers,” continued Mr. Hutchinson. “With the Scion iQ now available for sale across the country, we are excited to see the Scion brand grow.”
Please click here for full Toyota Canada Inc. December 2011 sales results.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.