Toyota Canada Inc.’s newest additions to lineup set August sales records
All new 2010 Prius, Venza, RAV4, RX and RXh embraced by consumers (TORONTO) –Summer weather drew more Lexus Guests and Toyota Customers to Dealers across Canada in August, setting new August sales records for a number of quality-built, fuel-efficient and versatile Toyota and Lexus luxury vehicles.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) sold 18,239 Toyota and Lexus cars, SUVs and trucks in August (down 21.3% from August 2008).
· Toyota sales of 16,707 (down 24.1%) included a new best-August ever record for Toyota trucks, at 6,257 (up 22.2%).
· Lexus record sales of 1,532 luxury models (up 31.3%) established its best August on record. This included 932 Lexus luxury SUVs (up 48.6%) – setting a new best-ever monthly sales record.
· Hybrid sales, at 1,182 (up 27.1%) accounted approximately 6.5% of all models sold across the Toyota and Lexus lineup.
Highlights for Toyota in August 2009 (versus August 2008):
· The all-new, third-generation 2010 Toyota Prius enjoyed its best ever August, with 682 models sold (up 152.6%).
· The Canadian-built Toyota RAV4 continues to be a popular choice with Canadians looking for a fun and functional compact SUV. Toyota sold 2,568 RAV4s (up 39.3%) – a new August record. This is the eighth-straight record sales month for the RAV4, following a best-ever year in 2008.
· Sales of 1,205 Toyota Venza models powered this unique North American designed and built vehicle to its best-ever month – the second time the Venza has broken the 1,000 monthly sales mark since the model went on sale in January.
"We are excited by the popularity of our third-generation Toyota Prius – the world’s ambassador for environmentally-responsible motoring,” said Warren Orton, Director at TCI. “The Prius is one of the many fuel-efficient, versatile and quality cars, SUVs and trucks in our line-up that Canadians continue to choose. As we head into the autumn selling season, we will continue to offer Canadians fresh opportunities to enjoy the winning combination of the right vehicle, at the right time, for the right price – backed by compelling leasing and purchase offers and Toyota’s customer-first approach to service.”
Highlights for Lexus in August 2009 (versus August 2008):
· Best August ever for the Canadian-built Lexus RX350, with 729 models sold (up 51.2%), for its seventh-straight record month.
· Best August ever for the Lexus RX450h hybrid luxury SUV, with sales of 149 (up 38%).
“The RX continues to be a success story in Canada. As the only Lexus manufacturing plant outside of Japan, our team members in Cambridge, Ontario continue to deliver remarkable RX350 models. Meanwhile, the RX450h delivers all the benefits of our popular RX luxury SUV while offering additional fuel efficiency and reduced tailpipe emissions.” said Larry Hutchinson, Director of Lexus in Canada. “The luxury market embarks on an exciting new journey in September, as the Lexus HS250h dedicated hybrid luxury sedan, the only hybrid in the all-important entry luxury category, goes on sale across Canada.”