TORONTO, ON., December 1, 2015 – Toyota today released its fifteenth annual North American Environmental Report.
The report highlights the progress made during the past 12 months in achieving goals and targets set in the company’s Environmental Action Plan. This initiative is a collaboration among Toyota’s North American affiliates including: Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI), Toyota Motor North America Inc., Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc., and Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.
“We have an environmental mission to minimize environmental impacts and promote positive environmental change,” said Stephen Beatty, Chief Environmental Officer, Toyota Canada Inc. “Toyota is a company that strives to make sustainability an essential part of everything we do. This report captures the ways we believe small changes can add to make a big difference.”
The report addresses actions spanning five priority issues:
- Reducing carbon emissions to help combat climate change: Toyota believes in a broad product portfolio with various powertrain technologies. The aim is to improve fuel efficiency in all vehicles, reducing overall greenhouse gas emissions. TCI offers a total of 12 hybrid vehicles in its lineup, representing 2 out of 3 hybrid sales in Canada.
- Preserving water as a precious resource: Toyota’s manufacturing facilities are continuously looking for opportunities to reduce the amount of water withdrawn in producing vehicles.
- Reducing, reusing and recycling to keep materials out of landfills: A systematic approach is being implemented across the enterprise.
- Acting as a catalyst to protect biodiversity: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. (TMMC) facilities in Ontario have received Wildlife Habitat Council certification since 2013.
- Collaborating with others in an outreach strategy to have the largest positive impact possible on helping the environment: Awareness is being promoted, both internally and externally, to encourage action and participation. And know-how is being shared with business partners such as suppliers and dealerships to help them reduce their environmental impacts.
Toyota is serving as an environmental role model in North America through its product, processes and people. These priorities and efforts reflect Toyota’s global environmental mission that is based on a fundamental respect for the planet.
To view the complete 2015 North American Environmental Report, please visit: http://www.toyota.com/about/environmentreport2015.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles. Toyota has sold over 4.6 million vehicles in Canada through a national network of 285 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships. Toyota is dedicated to bringing safety, quality, dependability and reliability in the vehicles Canadians drive and the service they receive. TCI’s head office is located in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver. Toyota operates two manufacturing facilities in Canada. Having produced more than six million vehicles, popular Canadian models built at these facilities include Toyota RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid.