This year’s Earth Week promises to be extra special for Vandermeer Toyota.
One year after opening a new 22,000-square-foot state-of-the-art facility, Vandermeer Toyota is certified as an official Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Green Building.
“Toyota is extremely proud to have its name on the first LEED®-certified facility in the community of Cobourg,” said Larry Hutchinson, Vice President, Sales, Toyota Canada Inc. “Vandermeer Toyota joins a growing list of Toyota and Lexus dealerships across Canada that have achieved this important designation, demonstrating the ability to meet the most stringent of environmental standards.”
Hank Vandermeer, Dealer Principal of Vandermeer Toyota, added: “From the moment we decided to move to a new and larger site, we were committed to making green innovation the essence of the facility. We strove to attain a silver LEED® certification and managed to achieve the Gold standard. We are ecstatic to be giving the people of Cobourg a building that puts our community at the leading edge of environmental sustainability.”
The dealership, located at 959 Division Street in Cobourg, is the fourth Toyota Dealership in Canada to receive the designation. It was achieved through a wide array of environmentally-friendly features, including:
- 28% of building materials being made of recycled content, and 40% of the materials sourced regionally;
- 83% of construction waste being diverted from landfill;
- 79% savings of internal potable water use and 100% externally, partly attributable to introducing native and drought-tolerant plant species;
- Sewage conveyance (i.e. toilets and urinals) water savings of 98.5% by using a cistern to capture and use rain water;
- 93% of the construction wood being certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC);
- Energy cost savings of 45% and consumption savings of 42%, partially achieved through the use of solar panels and skylights;
- Best practices on construction methods, such as an emphasis on pollution prevention;
- Maintaining indoor air quality with a special monitoring system; and,
- Using environmentally preferred refrigerants and low-emitting materials throughout the building, and initiating a green housekeeping program.
With 22 employees, Vandermeer Toyota has been serving customers in Cobourg for the past 26 years.
Customers can enjoy the new facility’s nine service bays, six-vehicle drive-thru reception, eight-car showroom, and four Toyota Touch bays.
The dealership is offering LEED® tours to anyone who is interested. For more information about the tours, please visit please visit vandermeertoyota.com or www.toyota.ca
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles. Incorporated in 1964, Toyota has sold more than 4 million vehicles in Canada through a national network of 285 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealerships. Toyota is dedicated to bringing safety, quality, dependability and reliability in the vehicles Canadians drive and the service they receive. TCI’s head office is located in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver. Toyota operates two manufacturing facilities in Canada which build popular Canadian vehicles Toyota RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix, Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid. Toyota Motor Manufacturing Cambridge (TMMC) also manufactures the Toyota RAV4 EV for the North American market. TMMC is the only manufacturer in Canada to assemble both hybrid and electric vehicles.
For more details, including a full list of media contacts, digital images and product details please visit media.toyota.ca.