(TORONTO) – Whether it’s urban streets under construction, or adventure trails waiting to be explored, the Toyota FJ Cruiser which includes the Toyota Star Safety System, offers Canadian drivers impressive on and off-road performance and no wonder, given that it’s the modern interpretation of a classic adventure vehicle: the legendary FJ40 Landcruiser.
Highlights for 2012:
- Two trim levels for six-speed manual models, as the base level returns to join the FJ Cruiser 6M with an available Offroad Package.
- A new, Urban Package available for five-speed automatic models features back-up sensors to improve parking ease in urban areas.
- The Trail Team Special Edition returns for 2012 with unique features such as off-road rock rails, roof-mounted off-road lighting with roof rack, blackout bumpers, grill, mirrors, and door handles, an exclusive “Radiant Red” exterior colour with matching roof, and 16” black TRD alloy wheels with BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires to handle a rougher driving terrain.
“The FJ Cruiser is the product of Toyota’s experience – over the past 70 years – in building rugged, reliable trucks designed to succeed in the toughest climate and terrain conditions around the world,” noted Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “We’re pleased to offer the FJ Cruiser – rough and ready, inside and out – in five models for 2012, with packages ready for whatever adventure Canadians desire.”
Power and performance
The 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser features a 260 peak horsepower 4.0 L V6 that generates 271 lb-ft of torque and offers a 5,000 lb towing capacity. Aided and abetted by Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), Sequential Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection, an Acoustic Control Induction System and Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), the FJ’s power plant is a marriage of “strong” and “sophisticated,” delivering maximum performance, improved fuel efficiency, and lower emissions.
The FJ’s rugged engine is mated to a choice of two transmissions:
- The 6-Speed Manual features true, full-time four-wheel-drive, complete with centre differential lock, rear differential lock and two-speed transfer case. FJ Cruisers with the 6M transmission are rated for a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 12.4 L / 100 KM.
- The 5-Speed Automatic Super ECT offers precise, seamless shifts and features an on-demand four-wheel-drive system with automatic disconnecting differential, two-speed transfer case and rear differential lock. FJ Cruisers with the 5A transmission achieve a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 11.1 L / 100 KM.
For maximum reliability, the FJ Cruiser’s power train includes a heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, and a stainless steel exhaust system.
Handling and Control
All FJ Cruiser models feature variable gear ratio rack and pinion steering, which adjusts steering gear ratios depending on vehicle speed. At high speeds, a higher ratio means more relaxed steering, while at lower speeds a low ratio keeps the steering tight and responsive, allowing for quick changes of direction from small steering inputs and a 12.4m turning circle.
Front and rear short overhangs provide exceptional approach, departure and breakover angles. Skid armour protects vital components including the engine, transfer case and fuel tank.
Designed for off-road adventure but with surprising on-road manners, the FJ Cruiser is standard equipped with an independent double-wishbone front suspension system featuring coil springs, gas shocks and stabilizer bar. The suspension is mounted high to deliver 7.87” of travel and protect components from the hard reality of off-road exploration. At the rear, a solid axle with coil over gas shocks arrangement provides more than 9” of travel to tame rock-strewn trails. A four-link configuration allows for more precise control of the axle, while a stabilizer bar keeps body roll to a minimum. The FJ Cruiser when ordered with the Offroad Package also features front and rear Bilstein Shock Absorbers for enhanced performance.
The FJ Cruiser rides on P265/70R17 all-season tires on 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks, and every model carries a full-size spare tire mounted on a matching aluminum alloy wheel.
The FJ Cruiser delivers impressive levels of safety, with a well-integrated combination of active and passive safety systems. Every 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs:
- All FJ Cruiser models are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System™, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. The Toyota Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- The FJ Cruiser surrounds driver and four passengers in a suite of six airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side roll-sensing curtain airbags
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident
- A relatively short but wide body for a stable, powerful stance
- Power-assisted front ventilated disc and rear disc brakes
- Active front headrests with whiplash protection
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts, front seat pretensioners, force limiters and adjustable shoulder belt anchors
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system.
The 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser may be fitted with a choice of option packages.
The FJ Cruiser, both manual and automatic transmission models may be ordered with the Offroad Package, which adds: Front and rear Bilstein Shock Absorbers, a passenger seat foldable armrest, rear privacy glass, cruise control, keyless entry, a floating ball type multi-information display with compass, outside temperature gauge and inclinometer, roof rack, power adjustable exterior mirrors with image lamps, cargo-area mat, and an auto-dimming rear-view mirror with integrated back-up camera.
The FJ Cruiser, when equipped with the automatic transmission, may also be ordered with the new Urban Package which includes features such as a 10-speaker JBL Synthesis Audio System with subwoofer, running boards, a 115v/400watt power outlet, back-up sensors, leather-wrapped steering wheel and metallic shift knob, and interior trim keyed to the exterior colour.
The FJ Cruiser, both manual and automatic transmission models may also be ordered as a Trail Team Special Edition: This includes an exclusive “Radiant Red” exterior with matching roof, colour-keyed interior trim, blackout mirrors, bumpers, rear tow hitch cover, door handles and grille, off-road rock rails, 16” black TRD alloy wheels with BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires, unique roof-mounted off-road lighting with roof rack and leather steering wheel with exterior colour accents.
Visit Toyota.ca to learn more about how you can personalize your 2012 FJ Cruiser.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser is now on sale at Canadian Toyota Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $32,725 for manual transmission models and $33,725 for those with automatic transmissions.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.