(TORONTO) – Take the Highlander’s remarkable combination of versatility, drivability, and a generous suite of standard features, including the Toyota Star Safety System, and add the performance, fuel efficiency and emissions benefits of the most proven advanced powertrain on the road, and the result is the Highlander Hybrid – a sophisticated hybrid mid-size crossover sport utility vehicle.
“The Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a forward-thinking vehicle for modern drivers, with hybrid power and efficiency, and modern convenience and versatility,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “The 2012 Highlander Hybrid also features excellent ride comfort, driving confidence and a class-leading safety system to offer Canadians an unparalleled driving experience.”
Power and performance
The 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is built around the proven Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive, specifically tailored to a mid-size SUV configuration to deliver advanced performance and maximum efficiency. The Highlander Hybrid’s system is built around a powerful yet efficient 3.5L Atkinson Cycle six-cylinder engine with lightweight aluminum alloy block, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), Sequential Electronic Multiport fuel injection, Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation System and more to boost fuel efficiency and minimize emissions. Meanwhile, reliability and durability are enhanced with a heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, plus a stainless steel exhaust system.
This engine is seamlessly integrated with a high-torque electric motor, a powerful hybrid storage battery and sophisticated power management system. Working in concert and connected to a continuously variable automatic transmission with power split device and transmission cooler, they generate 280 net system horsepower along with remarkable fuel efficiency of just 6.9 L / 100 KM combined city/highway, an accurate reflection of the driving patterns of Canadians. The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive may be operated in four driver-selectable modes (Normal, ECO, SNOW and EV) and significantly lowers smog-forming emissions, making the Highlander Hybrid a Tier 2 Bin 3 emissions vehicle.
Handling and Control
All Highlander Hybrid models feature electric power steering, which uses a computer to analyze driving conditions and adjust vehicle responsiveness. The result is steering that is quicker, with heightened levels of control and an 11.9m turning circle.
All Highlander Hybrid models feature independent suspension systems – front and rear – with Macpherson gas struts, gas shock absorbers, coil springs and stabilizer bars, plus specially designed anti-vibration subframes. The result is excellent manoeuvrability and a stable, confident ride.
All Highlander Hybrid models feature On Demand four-wheel-drive for maximum driving confidence.
The Highlander Hybrid rides on either 17” or 19” aluminum alloy wheels, and every model features a full-size spare tire with alloy wheel.
The Highlander Hybrid delivers class-leading levels of safety, with a well-integrated combination of active and passive safety systems. Every 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs:
- All Highlander Hybrid models are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System™, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. The Toyota Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- The Highlander Hybrid features Toyota’s state of the art Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, which monitors driver commands and road conditions and makes subtle adjustments to steering, throttle and braking to maximize control
- The Highlander Hybrid surrounds driver and six passengers in a suite of seven airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, driver knee airbag, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side curtain airbags
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident
- Front and rear ventilated disc brakes are enhanced with the Highlander Hybrid’s Integrated Regenerative Braking System and Electronically Controlled Hydraulic Braking System
- Active front headrests with whiplash protection
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts, front seat pretensioners, force limiters and adjustable shoulder belt anchors
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system
Modern comfort, function and versatility: Add it up and the answer is “Highlander Hybrid” – the generously-equipped mid-size hybrid SUV. Every model includes:
- Three-zone climate control including air conditioning, cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts
- Room for seven in comfort, including a 40/20/40 split second row with removable centre stow seat/console, foldable armrest and recline function, plus a 50/50 split 3rd row bench seat with a remote release conveniently located in the cargo area
- Power door locks with keyless entry
- Power windows with driver’s side auto down function
- High-visibility Optitron instrumentation gauges, including a kilowatt power meter, dual trip odometer, outside temperature gauge, multi-information display, and digital clock
- Cruise control
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors and a conversation mirror
- Tilting/telescoping steering column
- Up to 94 cubic feet of cargo capacity behind the front seats, with a payload of up to 544 KG, and plenty of thoughtful in-cabin storage, including a front centre console box with lid, front seat back pockets, illuminated cargo area with tie-down rings and shopping bag hooks, overhead sunglass storage, front and rear cup holders, door map pockets, coat hooks, and more
- Retained accessory power and a 12-volt power outlet
- A front tow hook
- Engine immobilizer
- A modern, stylish exterior featuring: aluminum alloy wheels with wheel locks, power adjustable and heated exterior mirrors, roof rails, front and rear splash guards and spoiler with LED stop lamp
- Variable intermittent wipers, a rear window wiper/washer and windshield wiper de-icer
- Projector-style halogen headlamps and fog lamps
The 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is available in two models:
In addition to the above standard equipment, the Highlander Hybrid features: an audio system with CD with mp3/WMA audio capability, audio auxiliary input jack, USB audio input, Integrated XM Satellite radio and six speakers; eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat; premium cloth seats; a stand-alone back-up camera with 3.5” LCD display; a digital compass built into the rear view mirror; 17” aluminum alloy wheels; and more.
- The Highlander Hybrid may also be ordered with the available Comfort Package, which adds: 19” aluminum alloy wheels; leather seat surfaces and heated front seats; flip-up rear hatch glass; rear privacy glass; the Smart Key system with Push Button Start; a power rear hatch with jam protection; an integrated garage door opener; a power moon roof; a leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob; the Automatic Headlamp System; and an anti-theft system.
The Highlander Hybrid Limited features all standard Highlander Hybrid equipment plus many premium features, including: automatic climate control; perforated leather seat surfaces and heated front seats; a 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat and four-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat; a voice-activated DVD navigation system with integrated backup camera; rear privacy glass; a sophisticated interior finished with simulated woodgrain trim, simulated leather door trim, plus a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob; rear seat reading lamps; an integrated garage door opener; a power rear hatch with jam protection; keyless entry with remote hatch release; an anti-theft system; 19” aluminum alloy wheels; puddle lamps on the exterior mirrors; silver-painted roof rails; a power moon roof; Limited badges; Automatic Headlamp System; and more.
Visit Toyota.ca to learn more about how you can personalize your 2012 Highlander Hybrid.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is now on sale at Canadian Toyota Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $42,990. The Highlander Hybrid Limited starts at a suggested $51,950.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.