"The 4Runner is the Toyota with the go-anywhere attitude - whether that's a night on the town, a ballgame or the backwoods. Getting where you want to be is easy thanks to a choice of two muscular powertrains and a roomy, comfortable, versatile interior," said Tony Wearing, Managing Director of Toyota Canada Inc. "This year, we make things better with additional airbags fitted as standard safety equipment on all models."
For 2008, the Toyota 4Runner is available with a choice of powertrains and trim levels to suit every taste and budget.
The 4Runner SR5 V6 includes as standard many convenience, comfort, luxury and safety features, such as:
- Standard front seat mounted side airbags and roll-sensing front and rear head and side curtain airbags.
- An AM/FM stereo/CD player with MP3 capability, audio auxiliary input jack and six speakers;
- Air conditioning with automatic temperature control, cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- A 60/40 split fold down rear bench seat with fold-down centre armrest, fold-down seat back and rear seat foldable cushions;
- Power door locks and power tailgate lock with keyless entry and trunk release;
- Power windows with driver's side auto up/down function, and power rear hatch window with auto up function and jam protection;
- Instrumentation that includes a multi-information display, tachometer and outside temperature gauge, plus metallic dash accents;
- Dual illuminated vanity mirrors, illuminated entry, and illuminated ignition key;
- Tilt steering;
- Interior trunk/cargo access plus tonneau cover;
- Ample cabin storage space, including a centre console box with armrest, glove box, front seat back pockets, overhead sunglass storage, driver's coin compartment, cargo area side storage compartments, and door map pockets;
- Cruise control;
- Digital clock;
- Engine immobilizer;
- Retained accessory power;
- P265/70R16 all season radials on 16" aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Dual, power remote, foldable exterior mirrors;
- High solar energy-absorbing window glass, including privacy glass;
- A go-anywhere exterior including engine, fuel tank and transfer case protector plates, running boards, front and rear splash guards, colour keyed fender flares, bumpers, bodyside cladding and door handles, rear step bumper with protector, chrome grille, and towing hitch with 7-pin trailer wire harness;
- Variable intermittent wipers with intermittent rear window wiper/washer;
- Reflector-style halogen headlamps with auto headlamp cancel system and fog lamps.
The 4Runner SR5 V6 may be fitted with a Sport Package that adds several performance, comfort, style and convenience features, including:
- Telescopic steering column;
- X-REAS sport suspension
- P265/65R17 mud and snow tires with raised white lettering on 17" aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Larger diameter front ventilated disc brakes;
- In-dash six disc CD changer and steering wheel mounted audio system controls;
- Power driver and front passenger seats;
- Two-tone premium cloth seat surfaces;
- Integrated garage door;
- Power moon roof;
- Colour-keyed and heated exterior mirrors;
- Front skid plate;
- Hood scoop;
- Silver painted roof rack;
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob;
- Double decker cargo floor;
- Anti-theft system.
The 4Runner Limited - available with either a V6 or V8 powertrain - features many upgraded standard features to create a top of the line intermediate SUV. On top of many of the same features found on the SR5 V6, additional or upgraded features include the following:
- A premium JBL audio system featuring AM/FM stereo/in-dash six-disc CD changer with MP3 audio capability, audio auxiliary input jack, the Radio Data System, an integrated Audio Security System, 10-speakers, and steering wheel-mounted audio system controls;
- Automatic air conditioning with dual-zone automatic temperature control, cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- Leather seat surfaces and simulated leather door trim;
- Power, heated driver and front passenger seats with driver seat memory system;
- Key lockout protection, keyless entry with trunk release;
- Electro-chromatic rear view mirror with integrated digital compass;
- Double decker cargo floor;
- Telescopic/tilt steering column;
- Integrated garage door opener;
- 115 volt accessory power outlet and retained accessory power feature;
- P265/60R18 all season radials on 18" aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks and a full-size spare tire;
- Anti-theft system;
- Dual, heated, power remote, foldable exterior mirrors;
- Light control system;
- Roof rack
- Colour-keyed rear spoiler;
- Power moon roof.
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is now on sale at Toyota dealers across Canada. The Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price starting at $40,580, while the suggested price for the Toyota 4Runner Limited V6 starts at $49,950, and the Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 starts at a suggested $52,585.
2008 TOYOTA 4RUNNER - PRODUCT DETAIL
Ample power for on and off the road
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is available with a choice of two engines.
The SR5 V6 and Limited V6 models are equipped with a capable and efficient 4.0-litre V6 with dual overhead cams, 24 valves, variable valve timing with intelligence and sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection. This engine produces up to 236 HP @ 5,200 RPM and up to 206 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 RPM, and 4Runners so equipped have a fuel efficiency rating of 13.5L/100km in the city and 10.2L/100km on the highway.
The Limited V8 is fitted with a powerful 4.7-litre V8 with dual overhead cams, 32 valves, variable valve timing with intelligence, sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection and an engine oil cooler. This engine produces up to 260 HP @ 5,400 RPM and up to 306 lb-ft of torque @ 3,400 RPM, and helps the 4Runner Limited V8 achieve a fuel efficiency rating of 14.6L/100km in the city and 11.3L/100km on the highway.
Regardless of engine size, all 4Runner powertrains are enhanced with a heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, and a stainless steel exhaust system, and all qualify as Tier ll Bin 5 vehicles.
Handling and control
All 2008 Toyota 4Runners feature a five-speed automatic, super electronically controlled transmission with overdrive, overdrive cancel switch, lock up torque converter and transmission cooler. Models with the V6 engine feature a multi-mode one-touch four-wheel drive system and an automatic disconnecting differential, while the Limited V8 has full time four-wheel drive with a centre differential lock and two-speed transfer case.
All models are standard equipped with a number of handling and control technologies, including Toyota's Vehicle Stability Control, Hill-start Assist Control, Downhill Assist Control, and active traction control systems.
All 4Runner models are equipped with an independent double-wishbone front suspension that features gas shock absorbers, coil springs and a stabilizer bar.
The 4Runner SR5 V6 is standard equipped with a four-link rear suspension featuring gas shock absorbers, coil springs and a stabilizer bar, while those models with the Sport Package have an X-REAS Sport Suspension fitted on the rear. This combination is also found on the 4Runner Limited V6, while the 4Runner Limited V8 adds a rear air suspension.
The 4Runner's go-anywhere ability is perfectly matched to its stop-anywhere braking power, delivered via power assisted front ventilated disc and rear disc brakes enhanced by Toyota's Antilock Braking System with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist technologies. The 4Runner SR5 V6 with the Sport Package benefits from larger diameter front ventilated disc brakes.
All 2008 Toyota 4Runners are equipped with full-size spare tires, and aluminium alloy wheels with wheel locks. The 4Runner SR5 V6 rides on P265/70R16 all season radial tires, while models equipped with the Sport Package are equipped with P265/65R17 mud and snow tires with distinctive raised white lettering. The Limited models - in both V6 and V8 engine sizes - ride on P265/60R18 all season radial tires.
Comfort and safety
The 2008 Toyota 4Runner features a roomy, versatile and safe interior for a combination of up to five adults and up to 75 cubic feet of cargo.
Standard safety systems include dual stage driver and front passenger airbags and - now as standard equipment on all models - front seat mounted side airbags and roll-sensing front and rear head/side curtain airbags. Three-point lap and shoulder seatbelts are fitted in all passenger positions, and include adjustable "B" pillar shoulder belt anchors as well as pre-tensioners and force limiters for the front seating positions. Younger occupants are protected with anchor points for child-restraint seats and rear door child protector locks.
Customers may personalize their 2008 4Runner using the Vehicle Configurator on Toyota Canada's web site (www.toyota.ca) or in any Toyota Dealership across Canada.
Peace of mind
The 2008 4Runner is provided with Toyota's no deductible, no transfer fee, comprehensive warranty that covers the entire vehicle for three years/60,000 kilometres. Power train components are covered for five years/100,000 kilometres, major emission control components are covered for eight years/130,000 kilometres and corrosion perforation for five years with unlimited distance.
Toyota also provides 24-hour Roadside Assistance for all models. Help is just a phone call away at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. Roadside emergency services include battery boost, lockout service, fuel delivery, tire change, winching, and even towing. Optional Extra-Care Protection (ECP) is also available, which includes travel planning and trip interruption assistance, vehicle rental help, lubrication maintenance, and mechanical protection of 17 major mechanical component groups for up to six years/200,000 kilometres.