TORONTO, ON – October 2, 2012 – Toyota Canada Inc.’s sales momentum continued in September with 16,834 Toyota, Lexus and Scion passenger cars, SUVs and trucks - up 21.9% from the same month in 2011. The Toyota Camry remained #1 in the intermediate segment, several vehicles experienced best September sales ever and TCI’s proven hybrid vehicles continued to set new sales records.
- TCI hybrids set a September record with 1,480 sold, as hybrid sales accounted for 8.8% of TCI’s total sales for the month and 44.8% of intermediate car sales
- TCI trucks were up 27.3% to an all-time September record of 7,972
- Lexus luxury vehicle sales reached 1,556, an increase of 25.4% over 2011 to establish a new September record
- Sales for Scion’s vehicles were up 15.9% to set an all-time September best
Toyota sales highlights for September 2012 (vs. September 2011)
- Toyota sales: 14,811 (up 21.8%)
- Toyota passenger car sales: 7,588 (up 15.5%)
- Camry sales: 1,175 (up 23.6%) :: Camry/Camry Hybrid leads intermediate sedan segment
- Yaris Hatch sales: 694 (up 44.0%)
- Toyota truck sales: 7,223 (up 29.1%) :: 5thstraight month of record sales
- Canadian-built RAV4 sales: 2,763 (up 101.1%)
- Highlander sales: 631 (up 80.8%)
- Tacoma 4x4 sales: 902 (up 70.2%)
- 4Runner sales: 256 (up 21.9%)
- Toyota hybrid sales: 1,202 (up 390.6%)
- Prius family sales: 775 (up 881%)
- Highlander Hybrid sales: 112 (up 211.1%)
- Camry Hybrid sales: 315 (up 142.3%)
- Intermediate hybrid sales: 952 (up 355.5%)
“We have set out make 2012 the year of the hybrid, and with the unprecedented success of the Prius family, Camry Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid, Canadians know we have a hybrid for everyone,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “Canadians have also been embracing core models like the redesigned Yaris HB and the next-generation Camry, which remains #1 in the intermediate segment year-to-date.”
Lexus sales highlights for September 2012 (vs. September 2011)
- Lexus luxury car sales: 807 (up 41.1%)
- ES 350 sales: 363 (up 111.0%)
- Lexus hybrid sales: 278 (up 36.3%) :: Hybrid models accounted for 17.9% of Lexus sales in September
- Lexus luxury SUV sales: 749 (up 12.0%)
- Canadian-built RX 350 sales: 647 (up 13.1%)
- RX 450h sales: 64 (up 25.5%)
- LX sales: 15 (up 87.5%)
“The new Lexus design language of the GS 350 is resonating with Canadians, from the striking new spindle grille to its evocative interior,” said Cyril Dimitris, Director, Lexus Canada. “We’re also very excited about our September record for the ES 350, which was a major contributor to our best-ever September for Lexus.”
Scion sales highlights for September 2012 (vs. September 2011)
- Scion sales: 467 (up 15.9%) :: New September record
“The sleek and sporty Scion FR-S sport coupe has now reached more than 1,000 vehicles sold, confirming its status as a legit sports car that delivers outstanding performance on the road and the track,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director.
Please click here for full Toyota Canada Inc. September 2012 sales results.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every vehicle starting in 2011. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.