Environmental leadership demonstrated with dramatic reductions in use of electricity and water, with big increases in recycling, composting and overall staff awareness
(TORONTO) – On November 23, 2001, Toyota Canada’s Head Office achieved ISO 14001 certification – the globally recognized standard for environmental excellence. This 10 year success was achieved by following a strong and clearly defined environmental management system based on three pillars:
- Creating a society based on environmental protection and harmony with nature
- Creating a low-carbon society (reduction of greenhouse gases)
- Creating a society based on resource reduction and recycling
“We’re extremely proud of reaching the outstanding milestone of a decade of ISO 14001 compliance. It demonstrates just how strongly environmental responsibility is embedded in our culture and how firm our commitment is to making a positive contribution to the environment,” said Stephen Beatty, Managing Director and Chief Environmental Officer of Toyota Canada Inc.
Following these three pillars has allowed for remarkable achievements to reduce the organization’s environmental footprint, which includes:
- Decreased water consumption, following a decision to eliminate regular lawn irrigation. Watering takes place only during extreme dry spells when plant survival is threatened. This has saved over 1.1 million gallons of water per year.
- The introduction of a composting program, which has allowed for more than 50% of the waste that had been going to landfill to now, being composted. This includes replacing Styrofoam and plastic containers with those that are compostable, while cafeteria utensils, bags and napkins can also be composted.
- Making recycling is a priority, with everything from bottles and cans to batteries and tires being recycled. Most recently, recycling stations have been reconfigured for greater convenience and to better ensure proper waste disposal. Currently, 96% of the waste generated at the company is diverted from landfill.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota Canada offers the most fuel efficient passenger car fleet in Canada, led by the industry’s largest selection of advanced technology vehicles such as the Toyota Prius. With a rich history of respect for the environment, Toyota Canada Inc. and its Dealerships align with like-minded organizations including the Toyota Evergreen Learning Grounds program and through the Toyota Canada Foundation, Earth Day Canada and Scientists in School, to make things better where we live, work and play. Additionally, Toyota’s commitment to operating in harmony with the environment and sustainable mobility can be found here, in the Toyota North America Environmental Report. TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.