(TORONTO) – With hauling power, go-anywhere capability, and comfort for up to eight adults, the 2012 Toyota Sequoia handles it all without breaking a sweat. Because that’s what Canadians expect from an authentic body-on-frame SUV. The Sequoia delivers more – from the Toyota Star Safety System to handsome styling and surprising amenities such as three-zone automatic climate control, making it the full-size sport utility vehicle that delivers full-size value.
Highlights for 2012
- Safety enhanced with a Blind Spot Monitor added as standard equipment on models equipped with the 5.7L engine.
“The Toyota Sequoia demonstrates that an SUV big on hauling power and offroad prowess can also be big on comfort, convenience and safety,” said Warren Orton, Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “The 2012 Sequoia combines a muscular stance with Toyota’s renowned attention to detail to make a bold statement, then delivers on the promise with power, safety, capability and comfort that Canadians will be proud to own.”
Power and performance
The 2012 Toyota Sequoia is a true force of nature, with a choice of two powerful engines. The Sequoia SR5 4.6L is built around a highly efficient 4.6L iFORCE V8 with exhaust gas recirculation system that generates up to 310 horsepower and 327 lb-ft of torque. For maximum capability, the Sequoia Limited 5.7L and Sequoia Platinum 5.7L sport a powerful 5.7L iFORCE V8 with a commanding 381 peak horsepower, 401 lb-ft of torque, and a towing capacity of up to 7,100 lbs.
Both engines feature 32 valves, Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), sequential multiport electronic fuel injection, an Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), crank hold electronic starter control and acoustic control induction system, for a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating. Additional standard systems include an engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, and stainless steel exhaust system for long-term reliability and dependability.
Regardless of engine size, all 2012 Sequoia models are equipped with a six-speed super electronically controlled transmission with sequential shift mode, tow/haul setting, overdrive, lock-up torque converter, transmission cooler and automatic transmission fluid warmer for confident acceleration, smooth shifts and maximum fuel efficiency. The Sequoia SR5 4.6L achieves a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 13.4 L/100 KM, while the Sequoia Limited 5.7L and Sequoia Platinum 5.7L clock at combined fuel efficiency of 14.8 L/100 KM.
Handling and Control
The 2012 Sequoia includes standard responsive steering, a rugged yet comfortable suspension system, the confidence of on-demand 4WD, and a full suite of handling and control technologies.
Every Sequoia features rack and pinion steering and a 12.5 m turning diameter.
Canadians will enjoy the Sequoia’s 4WD system with a two-speed transfer case with lockable Torsen limited-slip differential and a 6-speed electronically controlled planetary gear train – which combine for easy, one-touch operation.
The Sequoia’s double-wishbone front and rear suspension systems feature tubular shocks, coil springs and a stabilizer bar for superior chassis dynamics and enhanced ride quality. The Platinum 5.7L model is enhanced with front and rear Adaptive Variable Suspension systems with comfort, normal and sport settings.
All Sequoia models ride on large mud-and-snow rated tires on alloy wheels, as befitting a full-size SUV: 18” on 4.6L engine models, and 20” on 5.7L engine editions.
All Sequoia models are also equipped with a Tow Package including: heavy-duty tow hitch receiver; 4-pin and 7-pin connectors; trailer brake controller prewire; supplemental transmission cooler; and a transmission fluid temperature gauge. Towing ratings are as follows: Sequoia SR5 4.6L: 2,994 kg (6,600 lbs); Sequoia Limited 5.7L: 3,220 kg (7,100 lbs); Sequoia Platinum 5.7L: 3,175 kg (7,000 lbs).
The Sequoia delivers big servings of peace of mind, with a well-integrated combination of active and passive safety systems. Every 2012 Toyota Sequoia is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs:
- All Sequoia full-size SUVs are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System™, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. The Toyota Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology (SST)
- The Sequoia surrounds driver and seven passengers in a suite of eight airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and front & rear side curtain airbags
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident
- Power-assisted front and rear ventilated disc brakes
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts, front seat pretensioners and force limiters, plus adjustable shoulder belt anchors for the front and outside second row seatbelts
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks
- A stand-alone back-up camera mounted in the rear view mirror
- Front and rear clearance sonar
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system
- A blind spot monitor on all 5.7L engine equipped models.
Comfort, function and versatility: Add it up and the answer is “Sequoia” – the generously-equipped SUV. Every model includes:
- An audio system featuring AM/FM/CD with MP3 capability; auxiliary input jack and USB connection for portable music players; Bluetooth connectivity; integrated XM Satellite Radio
- Three-zone independent climate control with cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts
- Eight seats available for SR5 4.6 L and limited 5.7L: leather seat surfaces throughout, heated front seats; 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat and four-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat; power lumbar support and power thigh support on the driver’s seat; and a 60/40 split fold-down third row seat with power folding mechanism
- Power door locks with keyless entry
- Power windows with driver and front passenger auto up/down function; power tailgate window; side window defoggers; and high solar energy-absorbing window glass
- Comprehensive instrumentation including tachometer; water temperature gauge; oil pressure gauge; outside temperature gauge; 4WD indicator; and trip computer
- A stylish cabin finish, featuring simulated leather door trim
- A four-spoke steering wheel on a tilting/telescoping column, with steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- An auto-dimming rear view mirror; dual vanity mirrors; and a conversation mirror; compass in rear view mirror
- More than 120 cubic feet of cargo capacity, plus thoughtful in-cabin storage including: front centre console box; front seat back pockets; front and rear cup holders; cargo area tie-down rings; shopping bag hooks; overhead sunglass storage; and door map pockets
- In-vehicle lighting includes: a cargo area lamp; illuminated entry; illuminated ignition key; and map lamps
- A digital clock and integrated garage door opener
- Retained accessory power and a 12-volt power outlet
- A front tow hook
- Anti-theft system with engine immobilizer
- A ruggedly stylish exterior featuring: running boards; front and rear splash guards; roof rails and roof rail crossbars; power moon roof; and a chrome grille surround
- Variable intermittent wipers; a rear window, intermittent wiper/washer; windshield wiper de-icer
- The automatic headlamp system; reflector-style halogen headlamps; headlamp washers; and fog lamps
The 2012 Toyota Sequoia is available in three models:
In addition to the above standard equipment, the Sequoia SR5 4.6L features: an eight-speaker audio system; a second-row 40/20/40 split fold-down bench seat with recline and slide adjustments; cruise control; foldable, power-adjustable colour-keyed exterior mirrors and colour-keyed door handles.
The Sequoia Limited 5.7L features: A JBL Synthesis Audio System with six-disc CD changer, four-channel amplifier and 14 speakers; steering wheel-mounted HVAC controls; a driver’s seat memory system; a second-row 40/20/40 split fold-down bench seat with recline and slide adjustments; cruise control; instrumentation enhanced with Optitron gauges and multi-information display; dual illuminated vanity mirrors; silver-painted inner door handles; chrome vent knobs; a power rear door with jam protection; rear door glass sunshade; auto-dimming, power adjustable, heated dual exterior mirrors with puddle lamps and integrated signal lamps, linked to driver’s seat memory system and auto-tilting for reverse moves; chrome finished exterior mirrors, door handles, and rear trunk trim and a rear spoiler.
This model may also be ordered with a Technology Package, which adds a 4-disc CD changer; a rear seat DVD entertainment system with two sets of wireless headphones, audio and DVD remote control, and a 9-inch LCD rear monitor; a 115-volt accessory power outlet; a voice-activated DVD navigation system with back-up camera in navigation display; and XM Real Time Traffic capability.
The top trim Sequoia Platinum 5.7L seats seven in comfort and style. It comes in one fully-equipped package, featuring: A JBL Synthesis Audio System with four-disc CD changer, four-channel amplifier and 14 speakers; steering wheel-mounted HVAC controls; a rear seat DVD entertainment system with two sets of wireless headphones, audio and DVD remote control, and a 9-inch LCD rear monitor; a driver’s seat memory system; perforated leather seat surfaces and front seat ventilation systems; second-row heated captain’s seats with recline and slide adjustments; a voice-activated DVD navigation system; XM Real Time Traffic capability; instrumentation enhanced with Optitron gauges and multi-information display; dual illuminated vanity mirrors; silver-painted inner door handles; a woodgrain and leather wrapped steering wheel; woodgrain interior trim; chrome vent knobs; a second row centre console box; a 115-volt accessory power outlet; unique 20” alloy wheels; a power rear door with jam protection; rear door glass sunshade; auto-dimming, power adjustable, heated dual reverse auto-tilting exterior mirrors with puddle lamps, and integrated signal lamps that are linked to driver’s seat memory system. Chrome finished exterior mirrors, door handles, rear door trim and a rear spoiler are also available.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Toyota Sequoia is now on sale at Canadian Toyota Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $ 48,935.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.