(TORONTO) –The 2012 Toyota Tundra is the full-size pick-up truck that tackles every challenge with style, safety and comfort. Each configuration (and there are plenty) is designed with Canadian drivers in mind, so Tundra is ready to take on any task – anytime, anywhere.
Highlights for 2012
- A new Appearance Package features chrome-clad 18” steel wheels, power heated chrome mirrors, fog lights and an upgraded audio system. This is standard on the 4x4 Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.7L, and available for the 4x4 Tundra Regular Cab 5.7L;
- The 4x4 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4.6L and 5.7L models may now be ordered with an available Premium Package;
- The 4x2 Tundra Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L now features rear privacy glass as standard.
“The Toyota Tundra is designed and built in North America and we offer the 2012 model in three 4x2 models and eight 4x4 models to ensure there’s a Tundra for every need,” said Warren Orton, Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “Whether it’s for serious work or serious fun, the Tundra is the ideal truck – delivering awesome power and capability, coupled with surprising levels of style, comfort and safety.”
Choice, choice and more choice
Tundra is defined by choice. With eleven models providing unique combinations of engine size, drive train, cab size and bed length, there’s a Tundra for every pick-up truck lover. Standard 2012 Tundra models include:
|Tundra 4x2 models||Engine||Cab seating||Bed length|
|Regular Cab Log Bed||5.7L V8||Three||8.1-foot|
|Double Cab SR5||4.6L V8||Six||6.5-foot|
|Double Cab SR5 Long Bed||5.7L V8||Five||8.1-foot|
|Tundra 4x4 models||Engine||Cab seating||Bed length|
|Regular Cab||5.7L V8||Three||6.5 – foot|
|Regular Cab Long Bed||5.7L V8||Three||8.1 – foot|
|Double Cab SR5||4.6L V8||Six||6.5 – foot|
|Double Cab SR5||5.6L V8||Six||6.5 – foot|
|Double Can Long Bed||5.7 L V8||Five||8.1 – foot|
|Double Cab Limited||5,7L V8||Five||6.5 – foot|
|CrewMax SR5||5,7L V8||Five||5.5 – foot|
|CrewMax Limited||5,7L V8||Five||5.5 - foot|
Power and performance
The 2012 Toyota Tundra is a true force of nature, with a choice of two powerful engines. The powerful yet efficient 4.6L i-FORCE V8 with acoustic control induction system delivers up to 310 horsepower and 327 lb-ft of torque, while the rugged and powerful 5.7L i-FORCE V8 generates 381 peak horsepower and up to 401 lb-ft of torque.
Both engines feature 32 valves, Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), sequential multiport electronic fuel injection, an Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), and crank hold electronic starter control. Additional standard systems include an engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater, and stainless steel exhaust system for long-term reliability and dependability.
Regardless of engine size, all 2012 Tundra models are equipped with a six-speed super electronically controlled transmission with sequential shift mode, tow/haul setting, overdrive, lock-up torque converter, transmission cooler and automatic transmission fluid warmer for confident acceleration, smooth shifts and maximum fuel efficiency.
Tundra models with the 4.6L engine achieve a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 12.3 L / 100 KM (4x2) or 13.0 L / 100 KM (4x4), while those with the 5.7L engine clock a combined fuel efficiency of 13.6 L / 100 KM (4x2) or 14.6 L / 100 KM (4x4).
Handling and Control
Responsive power steering, a rugged yet comfortable suspension system, a choice of 4x2 or 4x4 configurations, and a full suite of handling and control technologies: these are reasons Canadian pick-up truck lovers love the Tundra.
All Tundra models feature an auto limited slip rear differential while 4x4 models are also equipped with a one-touch 4WD system, plus an underbody fuel tank and transfer case protector plates.
A rugged suspension system is surprisingly comfortable, featuring a double wishbone configuration up front with gas shocks, coil springs and stabilizer bar, and a heavy-duty multi-leaf spring rear suspension with bias-mounted gas shocks.
All Tundra models are equipped with a Tow Package including: heavy-duty tow hitch receiver; 4-pin and 7-pin connectors; supplemental transmission oil cooler; and an engine and transmission oil temperature gauge.
The Tundra delivers full-size peace of mind, with a well-integrated combination of active and passive safety systems. Every 2012 Toyota Tundra is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect driver and passengers if an incident occurs:
- All Tundra full-size pick-up trucks are standard equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System, a suite of six active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. The Toyota Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist enhancements, plus Smart Stop Technology;
- Tundra 4x4 models feature Toyota’s Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) system, tailored for off-roading;
- The Tundra surrounds driver passengers in a suite of eight airbags: all models feature driver and front passenger airbags, plus front seat mounted side airbags and driver and front passenger knee airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- Power-assisted front and rear ventilated disc brakes, including massive 13.6-inch brakes on the front wheels;
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts, plus front seat adjustable shoulder belt anchors;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and – on Double Cab and CrewMax models – child protector rear door locks;
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system.
Comfort, function and versatility: Add it up and the answer is “Tundra” – the generously-equipped full-size pick-up truck. Every model includes:
- Air conditioning with cabin air filter;
- Instrumentation including a tachometer, dual trip odometer, voltmeter, water temperature gauge and digital clock;
- High solar energy-absorbing window glass;
- Power steering on a tilting steering column;
- All-weather floor mats;
- Cruise control;
- Overhead sunglass storage, cup holders and locking glove box;
- A 12-volt accessory power outlet;
- Foldable, power adjustable, heated mirrors;
- A rear step bumper;
- Front and rear splash guards;
- An easy lower and lift, removable and locking tailgate;
- Cargo bed tie-downs and bed rail caps;
- Windshield wiper de-icer.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Toyota Tundra is now on sale at Canadian Toyota Dealers, with manufacturer’s suggested retail prices as follows:
|Tundra 4x2 models||MSRP starting at|
|Regular Cab Long Bed 5.7L||$26 210|
|Double Cab SR5 4.6L||$32 170|
|Double Cab SR5 Long Bed 5.7L||$36 695|
|Tundra 4x4 models||MSRP starting at|
|Regular Cab 5.7L||$ 29 925|
|Regular Cab Long Bed 5.7L||$ 30 275|
|Double Cab SR5 4.6L||$ 36 235|
|Double Cab SR5 5.7L||$ 37 335|
|Double Cab Long Bed 5.7L||$ 40 760|
|Double Cab Limited 5.7L||$ 48 405|
|CrewMax SR5 5.7L||$ 42 425|
|CrewMax Limited||$ 51 515|
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota is the first full-line manufacturer to make all of the elements of the Star Safety System standard on every 2011 vehicle. The Star Safety System includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST). TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.