(TORONTO) Drivers attending the Canadian International Auto Show, February 12-21 in Toronto, will be the first in Canada to witness a new future for the automobile, as Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) debuts Toyota and Lexus hybrid concept cars and customized vehicles from its new SCION youth+lifestyle brand. Many exciting models from the current year are also on display, including all-new designs for the 2010-2011 model year.
“Customer commitment, environmental excellence, fuel efficiency, and technological innovation are four ways in which the Toyota DNA expresses itself in our Toyota, Lexus and SCION cars, trucks and SUVs,” noted Stephen Beatty, Managing Director of Toyota Canada Inc. “We are delighted to give Canadians their first look at the Toyota Plug-In Hybrid vehicle and the Lexus LF-Ch luxury hybrid concept vehicle – plus three customized SCION models as we prepare to introduce SCION to the next generation of Canadian drivers in September.”
In all, TCI plans to introduce nine vehicles to Canada this coming year – including all-new vehicles and all-new generations.
Must-see vehicles on display at the Lexus and Toyota booths at the Canadian International Auto Show include:
- The new, 2010 Lexus GX 460. This second-generation GX combines advanced performance, go-anywhere capability and Lexus luxury with best-in-class fuel efficiency.
- The new, 2011 Toyota Sienna. This extensive redesign of the minivan delivers new features such as second-row long-slide seats with ottomans. Plus, a special Sienna Sport Edition creates the first minivan that positively radiates “cool” style. The new Sienna starts at a suggested price of just $27,900, which is $1,600 below the starting price of 2010 models.
TCI is committed to maintaining its lead in the development of advanced technology vehicles that address society’s environmental concerns. Two new examples will on display in Toronto as Toyota prepares, globally, to introduce eight new hybrid designs over the next few years. These are:
- The Lexus LF-Ch concept: As a luxury compact, the Lexus LF-Ch delivers a premium experience in a nimble form that’s perfect for negotiating urban environments. The latest generation of the Lexus Hybrid Drive – the world’s most proven gasoline-electric hybrid power train – features a switch that allows the driver to select between four drive modes. Normal, Eco and EV are joined by a Sport setting, offering owners a range of driving experiences from soothing to spirited. The exterior features an aggressive grille, wide front bumper and air dam that give the LF-Ch a powerful personality, reinforced by a commanding stance, broad and high shoulders, and an arching roofline that flows into the rear spoiler. Inside, Lexus designers created an elegant, contemporary and functional cabin trimmed in metal and leather to create a luxuriously handcrafted environment.
- The Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid (Prius PHV): With an electric-only range of more than 20 km and the ability to reach highway speeds on battery power alone, the Prius PHV delivers emissions-free driving around town. When the open road calls, the Prius PHV’s full-hybrid gasoline/electric powertrain addresses issues of cruising range encountered by other, purely electric vehicles while making it a practical and greener alternative to the conventional automobile. Toyota will put the Prius PHV through real-world testing globally, including in Canada, starting this year.
In addition, the SCION display in the Toyota booth showcases three highly customized SCION models:
- The SCION Revault tC: The 2009 SCION Tuner Challenge winner features modern architectural elements, a custom wide-body kit, a turbocharged engine, and a unique in-car entertainment system – plus dozens of tuner modifications to enhance performance and handling.
- The 2010 SCION xB Release Series 7.0: This production model – a limited edition of 2,000 individually badged vehicles – features a four-piece DAMD body kit with side skirts plus front & rear lower lips, a unique TRD sport muffler, TRD lowering springs for more athletic handling, and a unique colour.
- The 2010 SCION xD by MV Designz: This model features a 5-Axis body kit, custom wheels, performance shocks and lowering springs, a TRD performance exhaust, and a customized Pioneer Premium Audio System.
“SCION’s first 45 Dealers have been selected – including 20 in the Greater Toronto Area – and all are gearing up for our official Canadian launch in September, 2010,” Mr. Beatty said. “Our urban savvy, high style, highly customizable models are exactly the type of vehicles the SCION Nation has told us they want and we look forward to reaching out to this new generation of Canadian drivers in a way that is relevant to their unique lifestyles. Moreover, our innovative approaches to marketing the brand represent the fresh thinking that all auto companies need if they are to reach the next generation of Canadian drivers.”
“The Toyota DNA – a commitment to our customers, to innovation, to efficiency and to environmental excellence – gives us the map we need to build passion that resonates with our customers,” Mr. Beatty concluded. “It is how Toyota will continue to ensure it is the car company that matters to Canadians.”